What do Teachers do that We Can’t Always Observe

Logan Coles, Staff Writer

Camping, jetskiing, building tree houses, celebrating with Harry Potter chemistry, and coaching water polo fill our teachers time outside of FHN HS. School is only part of a teacher’s day. Outside of school they fill their time with interests, hobbies, friends, and family.

While teaching may be their profession, they find unique ways to incorporate their jobs into their families’ lives. Mrs. Duffey, our AP Chemistry and Chemistry 215 teacher, used basic properties of chemistry in her daughter’s Harry Potter birthday party. Using dry ice, Florence flasks,  and food coloring, Mrs. Duffey instructed the partygoers how to brew potions. A few years ago, Mr. Johnson had a key to the gym where he’d occasionally open the gym before or after school to play basketball with his kids Gavin, Emma, and Celine. While teachers may differ in age from students, there is still a possibility that activities students enjoy are shared among our teachers.

In fact, the FHN student body is likely to find that some of their teachers are interested in the same things they are. Similar to students gathering on a Friday night to cheer on the Huskies play football, teachers spend time with colleagues outside of school through the attendance of concerts, dinners, and athletic events. Too often students get the idea that teachers are “boring adults who don’t have any fun,” Mrs. Morrison says. Teachers at FHN have interests range from Mr. Yeh building treehouses to Mr. Johnson coaching the water polo team. To relax after a long day, Mr. Johnson and Mrs. Duffey enjoy watching the Detroit Lions and reading mysteries, respectively. In addition, both Mrs. Morrison and Mr. Yeh shared a similar interest in camping with their families in the summer months. Summer vacation provides an extended break to teachers and students. In order to beat the heat, Mrs. Morrison spends time with her family by going to the beach and riding her Sea Doo! To spend time with his family, Mr. Johnson says that, “Emma is my breakfast buddy.” Occasionally on Saturday mornings, Mr. Johnson will awake to view a text message asking if he is up and if he wants to go to breakfast. On the other hand, when Mr. Johnson spends time with his son, Gavin, they often go to “BDubs”  or “Bagger Dave’s to watch baseball.”

In the end, Mr. Yeh says, “the life of a teacher is pretty busy.” The life of a teacher outside of his/her jobs is different from any industry job. Teachers aren’t done when the clock strikes a certain time. The tests, quizzes, papers, and projects students have taken during the day still need grading, along with developing worksheets/practice problems. When presented with an opportunity to learn more about our teachers, learn, bond, and discuss your interests with your teachers to get to know them. School doesn’t have to just be learning about history, mathematics, science, and writing – learn about the people in the school.

• What do Teachers do that We Can’t Always Observe

Showcase

New Bag Rule

Showcase

Do you need help with College Applications?

News

The Truth About The Notorious “Banned Books”

Showcase

Varsity Soccer, Single Loss Season

Showcase

Freshies

News

The Final Countdown

News

Let’s Talk Business

News

What is Gone Boarding?

Showcase

New Bag Rule

Sports

Catching up with FHN Cross Country