The Journey There

Emma Vela, Staff Writer

A large number of people spend so much time thinking, stressing, and planning for college after high school. But what people don’t consider is that they are not going to be in class, doing homework and studying 24/7. People only tend to focus on their goals. Going from high school to college, college to internships, internships to jobs, and jobs to careers. It’s not very often that we all think about taking time in between those milestones. Can you see yourself following that same train of thought? So what are you going to be doing in your free time? Working, sports, clubs? Will you have time to be doing what you enjoy, relaxing or spending time with family?

Cheyenne Rackley, an FHN senior, will be moving to Germany with her family right after high school. She’s pretty solid on her plans for the future, going to school part time and having an internship at a veterinary office. She has all her goals in order, and it’s amazing to see her strive for that. We also talked about what she thought she might do in her free time. “I haven’t thought much about what I would like to be doing in the meantime, besides spending time with my family in Germany, because I’ve never met my grandparents before. But now that I think about it, I should find some more things to do with my time.”

Not only are high schoolers thinking about their future, but college students can relate to learning and adjusting their schedule. Talking to Cam Vela, a student at Aquinas college, helped me gain a better understanding of how much people don’t take time to just simply enjoy life every once in awhile. Cam states, “Being in college and playing soccer took up most of my time; when it wasn’t soccer season I was always on the lookout for a job. I wish that I had spent more time with my family or just had time to relax.” The popular thing to do is always be on the go. Work hard and achieve your goals. But sometimes reaching some of those goals isn’t as satisfying as it is thought to be.

“I regret not having experienced college as much as I could have.” Says Carrie Winter, an FHN teacher. “I see some friends and family have their best friends from college be in their weddings or have annual get togethers; I don’t have that. Heck, I couldn’t tell you one person I went to college with!” Carrie put herself through college all on her own and worked hard to have the least amount of debt as possible, but in return she does not have very many memories of the “fun” times.

Each of these individual’s experiences line up with what seniors are going to have to deal with soon. It helps put things in perspective so that seniors don’t get blinded by our own business such as sports, jobs or other obligations. Our society puts all the focus on the future, goals, what’s next, and not about taking your time to enjoy what’s right in front of us. Take your time, relax, and enjoy the journey there.

• The Journey There

Showcase

Can You Dig it?

• The Journey There

Community

Chain Reaction

• The Journey There

Opinion

The Car Ride To College

• The Journey There

News

What do Teachers do that We Can’t Always Observe

• The Journey There

Showcase

Freshies

• The Journey There

News

The Final Countdown

• The Journey There

News

Let’s Talk Business

• The Journey There

News

What is Gone Boarding?

• The Journey There

Showcase

Can You Dig it?

• The Journey There

Community

Chain Reaction

The Journey There