Should Exams be Moved to Before Winter Break?

Raleigh Kuipers, Writer

There has been a lot of talk lately on whether or not exams should be moved to before the winter break. Everyone has his or her own opinion on the matter.

On one hand, most students and teachers agree that it would be nice to be able to go into the break without having to stress about upcoming exams. Nobody likes to have to study during vacations. Breaks are about relaxing and not having to think about school for a few days.

“I think that exams should be moved to before Winter Break because during break I like doing two things: relaxing and spending time with my family. I don’t want to be stressed about studying for exams during my vacation and time of respite with my family,” said freshman Faith Addington.

Some argue that having exams before break would be too soon.

Mr. Gillette is among those who are keeping exams in January this year. “Right now, my opinion is that, at least for English, exams should be kept where they are, in January. Because of the way we planned out the curriculum this year, it fits better. I still need those extra weeks to get through the material. In the future, I would be open to moving exams, if it didn’t create more stress for the students and they have enough time to prepare. As long as it doesn’t cause more stress around exam time, it would be fine.”

The math department has decided to keep exams in January for this year, but they are optimistic about possibly changing exam dates in the future.

“I agree with what the math department said,” responded Mrs. Reagan. “In general, we agreed that exams before break was a good idea if that was the end of the semester. We didn’t want to have to do extra semester work after, because then we have two weeks to fill.”

Teachers and students would need to know beforehand when exams are taking place for that class so that the curriculum could be arranged.

“I think it would be fine if teachers could choose when they want to have exams every year, as long as they told the students at the beginning of the semester,” said Mrs. Leese.

Though there are many opinions on whether or not exams should be moved, most teachers and students agree that it will be possible in the future. Hopefully, in the coming years, students will be freed from the stress of studying for exams during Winter Break.

• Should Exams be Moved to Before Winter Break?

News

The Consumer Electronic Show

Showcase

Freshman Girls Basketball

Showcase

What People In Writing for Publication Do

News

National Honor Society is Leading The Pack

News

MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern

Showcase

4 Ways to Improve Concentration When Doing Homework

• Entertainment

How to Bake the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies with Walnuts

Showcase

New Bag Rule

Showcase

Do you need help with College Applications?

News

The Truth About The Notorious “Banned Books”