MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern

Rajeev Nag, Writer

Last week, 30 students from Forest Hills Northern went to Kalamazoo, Michigan to attend GLIMUN, or the Great Lakes Invitational Model United Nations.

Model UN is a club that simulates the proceedings of the United Nations.

“We are assigned countries for different conferences. You research about the country, and then go represent their views on a certain topic at the conference. There are usually 3-4 conferences per year,” said Brett Bauman, Co-Secretary general of Model UN. “It was a blast! At the most recent conference (GLIMUN), I was representing Ethiopia in the security council. In my committee, we were dealing with the topics of Afghanistan and the Central African Republic, or CAR. We passed a lot of resolutions, and there was a lot of good debate between countries–more than I had ever seen at any other conference.”

Anyone can join Model UN. It’s best to start earlier in high school so that you’ll have more experience as an upperclassmen, but if you start later that’s completely fine too. “No matter what your age, if you’re interested in debate and foreign policy, I highly encourage you to check it out!”

One thing Brett stressed is, “When you’re in your committee, no one knows what grade you’re in or anything about you. All they know is who your country is and how well you represent them. In many other clubs, being older means you’re good at it, but in Model UN that’s not the case. Whether you’re a first-time senior or first-time freshman, what actually matters is how well you work with others to compromise.”

At the past conference, no one from our school won an award, but according to Brett, “Everyone did really well. Lots of resolutions were passed, and I heard nothing but great things about every Northern member.”

“Model UN is so much fun. You meet new people and have a great time. I can’t recommend it enough,” said Kathleen Fallon, co-secretary general of Model UN.

Interviewee: Brett Bauman

Ethan Vanvalkenburg

Why didn’t you do Model UN again this year?

Because it cost too much, if money wasn’t an issue, I defnietly would have done it again.

Questions:

What is model UN?

Model UN is a club that simulates the proceedings of the United Nations. We are assigned countries for different conferences. You research about the country, and then go represent their views on a certain topic at the conference. There are usually 3-4 conferences per year.

Who can join?

Anyone can join!! It’s best to start earlier in high school, so you can gain experience so that later you know what’s going on. If you’re an upperclassmen and are still interested in debate and foreign policy, you can still do it, and I definitely encourage you to check it out.  

What is your role in it? What country did you have?

I’m the co-secretary general of the club, along with Kathleen Fallon and Zoe reep. At the most recent conference (GLIMUN) I was representing Ethiopia in the security council. We were dealing with the topics of Afghanistan and the central african republic or CAR.

How was it? Did you have fun?

It was so much fun! We passed a lot of resolutions in our topics. There was a lot of good debate and cooperation between countries, more than in any other conference I’ve been to.

Favorite Memory?

We passed a huge resolution on CAR, that we had been working on for a day and a half. Also, just in general meeting people from other schools and getting to know people from our school.

Examples of things to look forward to if you do it?

You can look forward to going to more conferences. We have MUNUM this year, I’m not sure if there will be another one. You can look forward to more debate.

Did anyone from our school stand out or do something exemplary?

I can’t speak to that because I was in a committee by myself. But I did hear of other delegates doing very well. No one won an award, but that’s not uncommon when only three in a committee of 60 get an award. We hope that this was a good building conference/year, because we graduated a lot of seniors last year. The younger kids got a lot of experience and will hopefully do well when there upperclassmen.

When’s the next one?

The next conference is called MUNUM. It’s in mid January, I’m just not exactly sure when.

Fun fact

When you’re in your committee, no one knows what grade you’re in or anything about you. All they know is who your country is and how well you represent them. It means that although in many other clubs, being older means you’re good at it. In this, whether you’re a first time senior or first time freshman, what matters is how well you work with others to compromise.

• MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern

News

The Consumer Electronic Show

• MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern

Showcase

Freshman Girls Basketball

• MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern

Showcase

What People In Writing for Publication Do

• MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern

News

National Honor Society is Leading The Pack

• MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern

Showcase

4 Ways to Improve Concentration When Doing Homework

• Entertainment

How to Bake the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies with Walnuts

• MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern

Showcase

New Bag Rule

• MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern

Showcase

Do you need help with College Applications?

• MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern

News

The Truth About The Notorious “Banned Books”

• MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern

Showcase

Varsity Soccer, Single Loss Season

MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern