Technology Is Taking Over The World

Back to Article
Back to Article

Technology Is Taking Over The World

Lydia Bouma, Writer

Looking into the future, as technology is advancing, upcoming generations are starting to be less social,  starting to gain weight, and putting their safety at risk due to technology. As for myself, when I walk through the hallways at Forest Hills Northern High School, I see kids looking down at their cell phones and avoiding any form of communication with each other. It seems as if technology is taking over the lives of high schoolers.

Over the years technology has altered the amount and quality of true relationships people have. Instead, relationships are formed over a screen. A screen can’t  provide what an in-person conversation provides.

An article in Chron.com suggests that “putting two people together in a room enables them to read each other’s’ expressions, body language and tone of voice. Nonverbal messages are often more important than the actual words. Businesses can lose sales or money because of miscommunication, and there’s a greater risk of that when relying on electronics to carry the conversation.”

In addition, I believe that technology leads to obesity. Allowing people to sit on their phones reduces the amount of exercise individuals receives. “Although the traditional focus is on the amount and type of foods kids eat, one study says that obesity is on the rise, not just because of food, but because as we use more technology, we exercise less. With technology that includes cars, television, computers and mobile devices, the amount of time we spend sedentary increased and our time in physical activity dropped.”

Along with the rise of obesity, studies have also showed that privacy is put at risk. “Improper use of technology can expose a child to numerous risks. Children who use technology may unwittingly share information that can put them in danger.”

For the benefit of society, we would be better off without technology.  When I was younger and without technology, I had longer and stronger relationships.  I found myself to be happier and content with my life. I believe that there should be a limit on how much technology an individual can use per day. With limiting technology, our society will be a healthier, happier, and safer place to live.

• Community

The Diversity Club Prepares for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

• Technology Is Taking Over The World

Showcase

Mitchell Gumbko: The an, the Myth, the Student Section Leader

• Technology Is Taking Over The World

Community

“Bear Grylls” Conquers the Mississippi

• Technology Is Taking Over The World

Community

The Lady Behind the Writers

• Technology Is Taking Over The World

Showcase

Super Sophomore Hannah Chadwick

• Technology Is Taking Over The World

Showcase

Varsity Basketball Remains Undefeated Through Winter Break

• Technology Is Taking Over The World

Showcase

Twin Takeover at Northern

• Technology Is Taking Over The World

Showcase

A Man

• Technology Is Taking Over The World

Community

Taking A Step Into The Art Of Dance

• Technology Is Taking Over The World

Community

Stephanie Hare: Hardworking Administrator

Technology Is Taking Over The World