Global Warming: Hoax?

Ethan Chomoa, Writer

Talk about global warming has been roaming around for decades, but is it true? Ice sheets are shrinking, ocean temperatures are rising, weather is becoming more extreme, and the global temperatures are rising. It absolutely baffles me (looking at the facts proving that global warming is not a hoax) that some people still do not understand the science backing it up. I am here to explain why global warming is not a  hoax.

To begin, we must examine why this is happening. The biggest and most detrimental factor contributing to  global warming is the increased buildup of CO2 emissions in the atmosphere. These gases are retaining heat, increasing temperatures worldwide. According to NASA, emission rates have skyrocketed since the industrial revolution in the late 1700’s. Although these CO2 concentrations have fluctuated during the earth’s life, at the current rate that they are rising, we do not have much time left with life as we know it.

Evidence of rapid permafrost and icecap melting is also available now due to the increased innovations in the science industry. While this may not be alarming to some, the problems as a result will be detrimental. As ice melts, water is created and must have somewhere to go. As this excess water transforms from ice, it flows into the ocean. It is predicted that at the current rate of sea rise, the world’s oceans will have risen around 4 feet by the end of the century. This may cause more flooding, making the world a more dangerous place.

As we look back on 2017, we have experienced some of the worst weather imaginable. From country-wrecking hurricanes to incredibly large forest fires, this has been our year for natural disasters. Hundreds have died in the U.S. alone, and we can credit our friend global warming. As more water is released from its entrapment within icecaps, it is released into the air essentially providing fuel for these incredibly dangerous storms. While the forest fire are a little bit harder to back up, the evidence is still there. The increasing temperatures are causing lower moisture in the soil, making it more dry and more likely to facilitate these fires.

While some take this subject as a joke and are even destroying years of hard work to prevent it, this problem should be our utmost priority. We only have one earth and there is definitely no reason to be destroying it at the rate that we are.

• Global Warming: Hoax?

News

The Consumer Electronic Show

• Global Warming: Hoax?

Showcase

Freshman Girls Basketball

• Global Warming: Hoax?

Showcase

What People In Writing for Publication Do

• Global Warming: Hoax?

News

National Honor Society is Leading The Pack

• Global Warming: Hoax?

News

MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern

• Global Warming: Hoax?

Showcase

4 Ways to Improve Concentration When Doing Homework

• Entertainment

How to Bake the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies with Walnuts

• Global Warming: Hoax?

Showcase

New Bag Rule

• Global Warming: Hoax?

Showcase

Do you need help with College Applications?

• Global Warming: Hoax?

News

The Truth About The Notorious “Banned Books”

Global Warming: Hoax?