Bomb Cyclone: Its Bone-Chilling Effects

Rose Lees, Writer

A recent blockbuster ocean storm, or “bomb cyclone,” plastered the East Coast with blinding snow and stinging winds. From North Carolina to Maine, numerous locations witnessed double-digit inch snowfall totals while winds gusted 50 to 80 mph. The storm will also be remembered for the enormous amount of ocean water it pushed ashore, causing near-record high tides and major flooding in eastern New England.

“This will be a truly amazing extratropical ‘bomb’ cyclone off the New England coast with pressures as low as Hurricane Sandy (but not the same path, thank God) and near hurricane-force winds.” – Perry Samson, University of Michigan Professor of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering & co-founder of the Weather Underground.

The storm not only produced knee-deep snow from North Carolina to Maine, but also historically significant amounts in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. This cyclone affected a large section of the United States. Along with lake effect snow, West Michigan was met with bone chilling temperatures and enormous amounts of snow.

Like a hurricane storm surge, the storm’s enormous circulation and winds pushed a large amount of seawater inland. Many buildings and homes were flooded. One particular airport was majorly affected. The Bomb Cyclone cancelled and delayed hundreds of flights at the JFK International Airport in New York. Along with these cancellations and delays, a burst water main suspended even more flights. Hundreds of travelers had lost their belongings in a sea of luggage.