Boys Tennis Serves Up Competition for State Title

Back to Article
Back to Article

By: Sammi Blair and Rachel Chadwick

After sweeping conference and regionals, the FHN boys tennis team advanced to compete for the state title at Hope College on October 19-20.

Throughout the season, the team’s underclassmen played a big part in keeping the scores high and defeating opponents. This remained true throughout the state tournament.

Overall, the team took 4th place at the state tournament with 19 points. The team had impressive finishes by freshman Owen Goodrich and sophomore Peter Renucci in the singles tournament and senior partners Andrew and Noah Kolar in the doubles tournament.

My favorite part about tennis this year was the State tournament. It was a really fun weekend cheering each other on and a great way to end my last season of tennis,” explained N. Kolar.

While all of the boys attended the state tournament, not all competed. As the team’s competitors went through their matches, their teammates stood by the sidelines and cheered them on.

The team’s chemistry is a bond that kept them close throughout the season. One of the biggest tournaments for the boys was the Boyne tournament, which helped to not only provide them with good competition but was also “a good bonding experience for the team,” said A. Kolar

The road to states wasn’t easy for the boys. It took a lot of preparation and practice. In August, the team started practicing after school. Scrimmages against other teams including Grand Rapids Christian were also a big factor in their preparation.

“I made sure that all of my strokes were down to a science before states at Hope,” stated Owen Goodrich.

Owen Goodrich has a perfectionist mindset that helped him finish the season with an impressive record of 29-2, putting him in a great spot heading into states. Goodrich reached the final match in his flight before he lost to Rohan Shah from Okemos High School. A lot of Goodrich’s success comes from his family and tennis background.

“I’ve been playing tennis since I was extremely young, like five years old. I started playing because my dad played in college, and my whole family has a tennis mentality,” said Goodrich.

The Kolar twins have been playing tennis ever since they were in fifth grade, so leaving tennis behind while they move onto college is not going to be easy.

Seniors enjoyed their last time together on the tennis team. “It was a really fun weekend cheering each other on and a great way to end my last season of tennis,” said N Kolar.

Looking towards next season, the team is still hungry for a state title. While still being a young team the potential is strong for the next season.  

• Boys Tennis Serves Up Competition for State Title

Showcase

The Pack in the Postseason: FHN Boys Varsity Soccer Team’s Dominance on the Field

News

The Consumer Electronic Show

Showcase

Freshman Girls Basketball

Showcase

What People In Writing for Publication Do

News

National Honor Society is Leading The Pack

News

MUNUM and Forest Hills Northern

Showcase

4 Ways to Improve Concentration When Doing Homework

• Entertainment

How to Bake the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies with Walnuts

Showcase

New Bag Rule

Showcase

Do you need help with College Applications?