Would Arming Teachers Make Schools Safer?

Back to Article
Back to Article

By: Silas Olson

Dec. 10, 2018

What happens when someone brings a gun to school for ill intentions?

Hopefully that doesn’t happen, but if it does, wouldn’t you want someone to be able to protect you and others?

When the tragic Sandy Hook shooting happened, not one teacher carried or had a gun in his or her room. At least one teacher in a school should have a gun on or somewhere near him or her.

If a teacher had a gun, he or she could stop the attacker before other people get hurt. That is better than not having anything to defend the students and employees.

Kalhan Rosenblatt wrote an article, and in it, she states, “On a recent morning in Newcomerstown, Ohio, a row of teachers stood in a line with guns drawn and moved slowly toward a row of steel plate targets. As the teachers advanced, bullets pinged off the metal with each round they fired. The teachers had come to take part in Faster Saves Lives, a voluntary training program run by an Ohio-based nonprofit that has taught more than 1,300 school staff members to carry and use firearms since 2013.”  She writes about how it is possible to train our school staff to save lives.

If teachers have a guns, then they have a serious way to disarm or possibly eliminate an attacker. According to Desiree Rapelly, “Teachers have the opportunity, not only to defend themselves, but to stop an assailant before other people are killed or injured.”

Desiree also states, “A student at Pearl High School killed his mother, then began shooting other students. Once the shots began, a vice principal went out to his truck, got his handgun and confronted the shooter. The vice principal never fired a shot, but he stopped the rampage, forcing the student to the ground until authorities arrived.”

President Trump released a statement earlier this year on the topic. “I want certain highly adept people, people who understand weaponry, guns,” Mr. Trump said this during a White House meeting to discuss how to respond to the shooting that killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

People against this have raised doubt. One teacher said, “I couldn’t even handle a spork under pressure, how would I be able to use a gun?” That is a great question. You would only use the people who feel like they would be able to perform under pressure and train them using intense training, simulations, and practice.   

If a teacher at Sandy Hook had a gun he or she possibly could have stopped the threat, instead of having to hide and hope that they weren’t found.