Let’s Transform The Way Students Are Taught

By: Maddi Lang

One controversy that I’ve noticed that is not viewed as much as it should be is the debate on how students should be taught in school as well as what kind of information they should obtain. Students should be able to take their next big step into life knowing what they want to pursue as well as how they will pursue it.

“A child educated only at school is an uneducated child,” George Santayana, a philosopher, once stated. There’s much more in life than learning information from books or lengthy presentations. Students should be able to acquire their knowledge from hands-on projects as well as learn more about the vital aspects of day-to-day life.

Our school had the opportunity this year, 2018, to try out a new way of educating the students. Forest Hills Northern High created a project called Project Next. Instead of standardized testing, the freshman class is earning all their credits by performing hands-on projects rather than the traditional method of sitting in classes all day, learning, and then taking tests.

The school has taken a massive step toward a new way of learning, but are they open to change what the rest of the students learn as well?

If we tweak the ways of teaching, we might tweak the knowledge that stays in our brain, so students won’t ask “When will I ever use this in the future?” This is a common question demanded by many young learners, including myself.

Why aren’t schools teaching students more about current problems in the world or current events in general? Instead, students are left with their noses in the books learning about ancient history or how our country was built.  I’ve found that the past is continuously taught in schools, but why not the present?

How will we grow as individuals if we aren’t presented the problems of today’s society? Learning about the past isn’t useless at all, but it is like a yo-yo. We learn it in middle school and then it is repeated back in high school just more in depth.

As schools start to transform, students shall take their next big step into the real world knowing what they want and how they will achieve it. They should be able to learn about the past as well as the present, not only in words but to be able to understand it completely in a hands-on and visual way.