Stephanie Hare: Hardworking Administrator

Back to Article
Back to Article

FHN Assistant Principal Stephanie Hare

FHN Assistant Principal Stephanie Hare

FHN Assistant Principal Stephanie Hare

FHN Assistant Principal Stephanie Hare

By: Lili Hudson

After attending Cornerstone University for undergraduate and graduate college, Stephanie Hare decided to start coaching basketball and track at Northern. After getting to know the students that she coached and the staff that she worked with, Hare knew that she wanted to get a job at Northern.

Hare obtained a teaching degree, bachelor’s degree in education, and a masters degree in educational leadership at Cornerstone and decided to continue coaching sports while waiting for a teaching opportunity to become available.

Hare has been working at Northern High School for eight years now as one of the assistant principals.

“My job is different every day. None of the days are the same. Some days I might be working on tasks such as discipline and others doing things like teacher observations. There are a lot of things that are always changing about it. You have to be able to wear a lot of different hats, and that can be challenging sometimes. But it’s really rewarding to work with students and to see them graduate and accomplish things in high school.”

One of the things that Hare is most proud of about Northern is the way people treat each other. “I feel like for the most part, whether it’s staff to student, staff to staff, student to student, that people generally care for each other.”

Hare enjoys seeing and helping students progress in their education and grow as individuals. About the other principals, Mr. Gregory and Mr. Dolce, Hare says, “we work together really well. We’ve worked together for eight years now, and we really are a team. We support each other and we balance each other because we’re not all the same, and I think that makes a really good team. We don’t always agree or have the same views, but we listen to each other and make collective decisions based off of that.”

There are a lot of responsibilities that come with being in school administration, such as ensuring that the students and staff are safe and following the rules of the handbook. Some security measures that have been implemented are having a new liaison officer for each individual school in the district. There is also a new buzzer system where all students must present a photo ID in order to enter the building.

“All of the outside doors have a buzzer, so every person that comes into the school needs to either show a school ID or come through the main office. Therefore, it’s very important that no outside doors are propped open and to not let anybody in to make sure that the building is secure.”

There are also a lot of perks to being an assistant principal, such as being able to help influence the school system and ways of teaching. “I just want to continue to explore ways of making high school more relevant and more engaging for students. That’s why we started Project Next, which is a great beginning to it, but we want to continue to see growth throughout the whole school in those areas. I would give high schoolers more flexibility in the amount of time they spend in high school and give them more opportunity to be outside of the walls of a high school and do more things in the community. An example is getting jobs. I just wish high school was a little more flexible, not six straight hours in a traditional classroom every day.”

Hare would like to see the school become more diverse in its teaching methods because “it’s great to work hard, to get good grades and to take rigorous classes, but a lot of success is going to determined by the amount of grit you have, your social skills–all of those soft skills. Employers have to know that you’re going to be reliable, on time, and work hard. It’s not always going to be about how much you know, but it’s going to be about your ability to navigate the world.”

Hare remains an assistant principal at Northern High School. She loves her job and “feels blessed” that she gets to work at Northern every day.  Hare can be found at the school from 7am-4pm weekdays and at any extracurricular activities that require supervision.

This year Hare will be leaving in April because she is pregnant with her third child and is due around that time.

• Community

The Diversity Club Prepares for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

• Stephanie Hare:  Hardworking Administrator

Showcase

Mitchell Gumbko: The an, the Myth, the Student Section Leader

Community

“Bear Grylls” Conquers the Mississippi

Community

The Lady Behind the Writers

Showcase

Super Sophomore Hannah Chadwick

Showcase

Varsity Basketball Remains Undefeated Through Winter Break

Showcase

Twin Takeover at Northern

Showcase

A Man

Community

Taking A Step Into The Art Of Dance

Showcase

Dance Team: A Sport Worth Leaping Into